The following links provide additional information that you may find useful or interesting, whether you're a health professional, program manager or leader, or an individual looking to make a difference in your community...
BC Recreation and Parks Association
- BCRPA - offers membership to individuals, corporations and local governments who influence the park and recreation sector. The site provides: program and course information for those interested in becoming a BCRPA fitness leader, High Five leader, taking playground safety courses, pool operator courses, and more; an abundance of information for all BCRPA fitness leaders in BC; handbooks and tools for local government, non-profit and private sector organizations to assist with development and progress of physical activity initiatives; walking program resources for program leaders and individuals implementing walking programs; and much, much more...
- Physical Activity Strategy - offers background and a description of the strategy and portals to the 4 initiative sites: 1) Walk BC, 2) Everybody Active, 3) Community Based Awareness and 4) Build Environment and Active Transportation.
Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Heart and Stroke Foundation - offers an abundance of information about heart disease and strokes, healthy living and healthy eating (including plenty of recipes, shopping tips and information about the ‘Health Check'). This site also educates kids/teens, parents and teachers about living actively and eating healthy. You'll also find information about the foundation's advocacy, research initiatives, events and volunteer opportunities.
Walk BC Partner Websites
- recognized sport medical and paramedical professionals,
- volunteers and professionals committed to clinic programs for runners and walkers,
- active living people who register for SportMed clinics and programs,
- sport enthusiasts.
- Steps Out - a walking tracking program where groups, in many cases entire communities, register and individuals log their steps (measured with a pedometer). Teams compete to see who can walk the furthest, from region-to-region or country-to-country.
- Walker Tracker - a free community site for people to track their steps.
Walking Program Websites
- In Motion - offers information about "why" and "how to" become physically active for youths, adults and seniors. There are also some great tips for making the most of your walking workout!
- Canadian Volkssport Foundation - Volkssport is an organization that promotes non-competitive walks, runs, bike rides and other outdoor, scenic events. Regional Volkssport clubs are located throughout Canada. There are plenty of weekly and annual events open to all who seek fun, fitness and friendship!
- Shape Up RI - a state-wide exercise and weight loss challenge that encourages Rhode Islanders to live healthier through healthier eating and more exercise.
National and International
- Alberta Centre for Active Living - offers evidence-based information for those who promote physical activity as part of their profession. The site houses an impressive library of health-based resources and offers information about programs and initiatives, specific to key demographics (such as girls, children, people with disabilities, and more).
- Walk the Way to Health - offers information to anyone interested in walking for health-beginners, existing walkers or health professionals-and provides accreditation to programs meeting WHI criteria. The organization is based in England, with sister organizations in Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- The Ramblers Assocation - Britain's largest walking organization! The site provides an abundance of information, advice and ideas related to walking. It also highlights paths, routes and parks specifically for those walking in Britain.
- Stay Active Eat Healthy - The BC Recreation and Parks Association, together with the Union of BC Municipalities, developed this site to encourage recreation facilities and local government buildings to provide and promote a wider range of healthy choices. This site is designed to provide all the information, tools and resources needed to make the healthy choice the easy choice for community members.